Monday, August 15, 2011

A juicy read!


I  just finished reading "Girl with a dragon tattoo" by Steig Larsson.  It took me forever to get through and I guess that type of mystery just isn't my thing.  It was a good book and I totally didn't expect the twist at the end, but it didn't inspire me.  I wasn't anxious to get to the end and I have the next book in the series but don't know if I want to start it.


Now I am definitely not a book snob.  Give me a trashy romance novel any day!  The trouble is by the time you get involved with the characters and the plot, the book is over.  I like my books big and juicy.  If you like them that way, then I would recommend the one I just finished.  "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. 

It had some threads in common with both the Twilight series, although on a more adult level and one of my all time favorite series "Outlander" by Diana Galbadon.  I curled up in my favorite stitching chair and spent a whole evening enjoying this book.  I couldn't put it down and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The writing was intelligent without being stuffy and the character development was excellent.  The best part is that the next book in the series will be coming out sometime in 2012. 

If you are interested, you can read an excerpt here:

If you are interested in the Outlander series, you can find the details here:

Reading enriches my mind and my life.  If you have read something that you thoroughly enjoyed, let me know.  I am always on the lookout for a good book.

Make yourself a cup of coffee and stay up late with a good read!
Until next time!

Kerri

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerri! Been reading your blog -- thanks for the comment on mine! I know Sylvia! :D Great friend! I love your stitching projects, the Hinze it and the PS. And yes, blogging is great for connecting with other stitchers and making virtual friends. Nice to see pics of your family as well. As for stitching fast -- please. It's just a matter of having the time. lol! I don't work full time like you do! I guess the one thing I would mention is listening to audiobooks. When you listen, you just keep stitching, no distractions, lost in a good book and stitching at the same time. Best of both worlds. Speaking of which, I guess I should try A Discovery of Witches. Everyone says so! :D Have fun with the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book is on my list, Kerri - I am slogging my way through the second of the Game of Thrones book - its not slogging because its a bad book, its that I am just really slow. I have heard good things about that book and hope to get it read this year. Thanks for your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete